Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Murder By Death: Slow Death

Murder By Death

Obtained from a local thrift store not long ago...

    I was really excited when I found this VHS in 3/1 bin a a local store.  I am a sucker for those predictable bunch o' people in a house "who done it" flicks.  The cover has a picture of a big creepy house, the kind I like.  the cast is superb, and I was wondering why I had never heard of it before.  Alec Guiness, David Niven, Peter Falk, Peter Sellers, Elsa Lancaster and... Truman Capote.  Most of the cast are unofficially portraying famous detectives, like Ms. Marple, Charlie Chan etc.
   Peter Sellers as the Charlie Chan character is amazingly/terribly racist when watching him you're not sure weather to laugh or cringe.  This movie tries to be a comedy, but really inst very funny and also doesn't really succeed at being suspenseful either.  The film has the feel to it that it was probably originally a play, which I believe is the case.  The play may have been funny, but somehow it  just doesn't translate to the big screen.  Even with the amazing cast the film feels cheap, I cant really put my finger on it, but it could be the back lot TV set look  that the... set... of that the film has.
    All in all I still rather enjoyed the film (I enjoy nearly all films that take place in a creepy mansion), but I feel like it could have been so much better.  It is still certainly worth a watch if you dig films like Ten Little Indians and such.

Left On Newbury St. in Boston around 5:30 PM 3/13/12

-Wiley

No comments:

Post a Comment